Monday, September 8, 2008

Rutgers

I have news: I'm going to get an MBA. From Rutgers. In China. Business Week ranked the Rutgers Executive MBA program in the top five for strategy and top six for finance globally.

This is a fourteen month intensive program, with classes being held over a one week period approximately once each month. For each week, we will be in class full time on the beginning and ending weekends and two evenings during the week in between. Classes are taught by the same professors who teach in the program in the United States. The program costs US$41,000, including textbooks and refreshments, a bargain compared to the over US$100,000 tuition and fees charged to out-of-state students taking the same E-MBA program in the New Jersey.

Life sometimes offers us interesting paths to take. I often find ones I'd never even thought existed. This is one of them. I had not imagined this as part of my plan in China but it's an amazing opportunity. I have learned something new every day since I arrived here and I know I will continue to do so.

Right now I'm trying to read as much of the 900+ pages of Accounting and Organizational Behavior textbooks, case studies and readings as I can before the program starts on Saturday. The classes are only one week long so I know I can make it through.

At this point I'm still waiting to hear back from the federal government about student aid. Anyone have an extra $41,000?

1 comment:

Harish said...

Hi Alicia,
Saw your post. Just wanted to drop a quick note that reading your blog on Rutgers gave me a sense of deja-vu when I too got into the Rutgers emba program...earlier in Jan this year...in Singapore. I am half-way through. And it's indeed a wild ride coping with work, studies and family. But feel very rewarded by all the fresh insights gained.
Wish you the best!!